This is a challenging route that ascends Matzok HaEtekim up to the desert level and, on the way back, descends into the Einot Tzukim Nature Reserve.
The trail climbs a challenging ascent to the top of the cliff, where the desert plateau spreads out before you, blooming and blossoming during the appropriate season, and arrives at a vantage point at Rosh Tzukim. From here, you can look out over Einot Tzukim Nature Reserve, see the retreat of the Dead Sea and perceive the sinkhole phenomenon.
From this point, the trail descends on a short and relatively easy track to Route 90, near the entrance to the nature reserve, which is highly recommended to visit.
Please note: you are passing through the Matzuk HaEtekim Nature Reserve. Please do not descend from the marked path and be sure to exit the reserve before dark.
- Trail Length: approx. 7 kilometers
- Trail Duration: approx. 6 hours
- Suitable for Challenge-Seekers
- Recommended Season: spring/autumn/winter
- Trail Map: #8
- Trail Marks: Color Green 8217/ Color Blue 8141/ Color Black 8216
- Starting Point: at the entrance gate of Ovnat
- Finishing Point: at the bus-stop by the entrance to the Einot Tzukim Nature Reserve
The itinerary, as described above, is a recommendation only, and those who choose to take this trip do so at their own discretion and responsibility. The Regional Councils will not be held accountable in the event of any adverse consequences that may ensue.
Due to Ministry of Health guidelines and ‘Purple Tag’ restrictions, advanced registration must be made in the online reservation system of the National Parks & Nature Reserves Authority.